Sunday, June 8, 2008


4th Question

My daughter is in the 3rd grade in the elementary school. She had learned English at home through Teunteun English and then with me. After I joined this program, she has been studying English at the private institute.
Nowadays I'm very sorry for her because she has had tons of homework from that institute. So, I'm not sure it's a good way or not to let her go to the private institute in terms of time, money, and the effect. Studying at home has some bad points: pronunciation and short of writing practice, but going to the private institute also has them: time consumption and lots of homework .

Based on your experience, what ways do you recommend for children to learn Enlish?

5 comments:

Kevin said...

As you know, i have two kids, 4 and 6 years old. i also have the question for my own. As an English teacher, we are an expert to know the way how they are taught. As a matter of fact, we don't have a clear idea that we can say to everyone in korea. Howvever, i can tell you one thing i have in mind when it comes to me. Before we force our kids to study English, we should let them know why they have to work on it. Tell, no show the reason why they must learn English througn hand-on experience. As for me, i took my kids to Japan last year, even though Japan is not a place where English is spoken. i just wanted to let them know what the foreign language is. After the visit, i could get them to talk about the importance of other languages, saying "when you were in Japan, did you notice that they spoke a language which you didn't understand, and if you want to know it, just like me, you should learn the language. i tried to motivate her to study foreign language. i'm sure that that is the first thing you have to do that for our kids.

Nicole said...

Hi Lina,
I think that Kevin makes a really good point about letting kids know the value of a foreign language. I also think that it's important that parents recognize whether their children have a natural aptitude for languages. English will be removed from the SAT tests in 2012 so it won't be necessary to torture those kids who don't learn languages easily.

sunny said...

In case of one of nephews, he is in the fourth grade of elementary school. He is not that interested in stuying English. He is just
forced to study by his parents. That's the problem, I think. So, what do you say to talking to your kids?

young said...

Smiling Lina.
Your smile is awesome.
The best way for my kids to learn English is " Let it be ! "
If they need to learn it, they`ll study it. If not, they won`t.
I think it`s up to them.
It`s none of my business.HaHaHa. Bad father !

Meg said...

Well,
I myself didn't like to study english until I entered the university.. It was nothing but an obligatory subject to me..
There must be a certain critical moment in life that english, whatever it is, seems necessary for their future,, That's the moment one is ready to start learning..
Once a kid likes it, s/he will go for it by any means!! ^^